Beginning with the establishment of the University of Jordan in 1963, the mission of the Physics Department has been geared towards the following:
1. Educating young Jordanians to assume their roles as teachers of physics in Jordan and the regional Arab countries.
2. Preparing qualified graduates who are able to pursue their higher studies in Physics and related disciplines.
3. Providing graduate studies at the M.Sc. and Ph.D. levels to Jordanians and other Arab citizens to meet the market demand for more and better qualified manpower.
4. Initiating and promoting research activities in a number of specialized fields of theoretical and applied physics that respond to the market needs.
5. Supplying industry, business, and the government public service, with qualified personnel and manpower.
6. Supplying technical staff as lab assistants and supervisors to: universities, schools, hospitals and private business.